• Home
  • Academics
  • Faculty Advisor FAQs

Faculty Advisor FAQs

Advising related questions

A: ARTS was replaced by the Degree Progress Report (DPR) in 2012. The DPR presents most of the same information that the ARTS form had (and sometimes more information) but in a more user-friendly format.

The DPR is available through students' My Progress section of the myKU portal and is available in three different forms.
A: Ask the student for her/his "Print Advising Report," which is available through the student's My Progress portal. The Print Advising Report provides basic information about the student's major, including GPA, as well as a list of courses with grades. Additionally, entrance exam scores are given in this report.
A: Students typically should choose the degree requirements that were in effect for the academic term when they first entered KU. However, students may choose to follow the most current degree requirements, in which case they can generate a "What If" Degree Progress Report (DPR) using the most recent term for degree requirements. The College now has a time limit policy concerning degree requirements: "Students readmitted 10 years or more after the initial term of degree-seeking admission to KU must fulfill all current requirements (this includes general education, major, minor, and all other related policies) to earn a degree."
A: There are several holds that students may see on their accounts.  Here is a brief description of academic holds:

ADV-GRAD – Candidate for Graduation hold.  Students receive this hold once they have 75 credit hours; the hold seems to be meant to have students begin thinking about graduation requirements.  Students must read the accompanying Academic Notice in the My Progress portal to click on a link to an online degree progress assessment.  The hold will be removed by a College graduation advisor after the assessment is completed, normally in 1-2 business days.

ADV-WELC – First year advising hold.  All students in the College receive this hold to assure that students receive at least two semesters of advising.  Jen Weghorst (weghorst@ku.edu) and Greg Burg (gburg@ku.edu) are able to remove this hold.  We will need confirmation that you met with the student and the student’s KUID number.
ADV-CSRD – Non-declared major hold ("crossroads" hold).  Students who have not yet declared a major after their first two semesters receive this hold.  The notice will give instructions on how to lift this hold.
A: On our web page, we have a link entitled "Advising", and faculty advisors are listed according to their expertise in one or more major areas. If you would like to change your advising designation(s), please contact Jen Weghorst (weghorst@ku.edu).
A: Online versions are available at the Curriculum tab for each degree. Print versions of degree requirement check sheets are available in 2045 HAW.
A: KU's Lawrence campus pre-medical advisors maintain an extensive pre-medical advising website for various pre-health professions. There are links within the various pages for required and recommended courses.
A: Contact Greg Burg (gburg@ku.edu) and Jen Weghorst (weghorst@ku.edu), and/or refer students to contact them.

Please be aware that community college courses cannot transfer as Jr/Sr hours, even if they might satisfy a particular Jr/Sr course requirement.
A: Yes. If you have questions about how to complete this form, which is also available in the UBP office, or about degree requirements for students, please contact either Greg Burg (gburg@ku.edu) or Jen Weghorst (weghorst@ku.edu).
A: Yes, faculty may substitute courses within the "General Science Requirements" and major course sections (e.g., "Biochemistry Course Requirements") for all majors. KU Core courses may not be substituted except through the student's submitting a petition to the KU Core curriculum committee.
A: BIOL 646 Mammalian Physiology may not be substituted for BIOL 408 Physiology of Organisms. BIOL 636 Biochemistry I may not be substituted for BIOL 600 Introductory Biochemistry, Lectures. However, BIOL 636 may be combined with BIOL 638 Biochemistry II to substitute for BIOL 600. For other substitution questions, please contact either Greg Burg (gburg@ku.edu) or Jen Weghorst (weghorst@ku.edu).
A: Students need both a KU (not including transfer credit) GPA and a Major Jr/Sr Hour GPA greater than or equal to 2.00. The Degree Progress Report (DPR)'s final two sections provide both these GPAs. Courses contributing to the Major Jr/Sr Hour GPA would be courses numbered 300 or above not included in the KU Core or General Science Requirements sections of that particular major (see our degree requirement check sheets or the DPR). The courses included in this GPA calculation vary across our majors.
A: Our students may choose to take up to one course each semester Credit/No Credit as long as it is not classified as a major course. Courses that are designated as major courses vary with the particular major. If you refer to one of our biology degree requirement checksheets, or to the Degree Progress Report (DPR)/Degree Requirement Checklist, you'll see the broad classifications of KU Core and General Science Requirements. These two areas do not contain courses that are classified as major courses.
A: Students with two majors must complete at least 15 credit hours in each major (i.e., not in KU Core or General Science Requirements) that are unique (i.e., not satisfying a major requirement) to that major. Please keep in mind that students are not double majoring if they complete more than one subplan of the BS Biology major (e.g., EEOB + MCDB) or more than one concentration of the BA Human Biology major (e.g., Anthropology + Psychology). Typically, students choose to double major in the same degree tracks: BA + BA or BS + BS. However, some students are able to complete the required courses for both a BA and BS major in a timely fashion, particularly if they are entering KU with many hours of AP/IB or transfer credit.




Teaching related questions

A:  Blackboard has some major changes that began with the Fall 2013 semester, most notably the automatic Blackboard course creation for every course for which you're listed as an instructor.  These automatically-created sites, however, do not contain content from your previous semesters' course sites, nor will they be made available automatically to your students.
A: Student Information Systems - Faculty Center
A: You can change a student's grade online through your Enroll & Pay Grade Roster up to a year after the course.  (Online Change of Grade). After one year has passed, a paper Change of Grade Form is needed (please contact either Greg Burg (gburg@ku.edu) or Jen Weghorst (weghorst@ku.edu).
A: You may select "I" in your course Grade Roster through Enroll & Pay. Grade Roster Incomplete (pdf)  No additional paperwork is necessary to assign an "I". Please see the policy below and note that after one year, "I"s lapse to "F"s or to the grade you specify as the default when originally assigning an "I," and changing the lapsed grade requires a petition process that involves both the student and you.

Policy on incompletes from the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences policies.
The letter I indicates incomplete work, such as may be completed without re-enrollment in the course. The letter I should not be used when a definite grade can be assigned for the work done. It is not given for the work of a student in any course except to indicate that some part of the work has, for reasons beyond the student's control, not been done, while the rest has been satisfactorily completed. At the time an I is reported on the electronic roster, the character and amount of work needed, as well as the date required for completion and lapse grade if further work is not completed by this date, should be indicated.
A student who has an I posted for a course must make up the work by the date determined by the instructor, in consultation with the student, which may not exceed 1 calendar year, or the last day of the term of graduation, whichever comes first. An I not removed according to this rule automatically converts to a grade of F or U, or the lapse grade assigned by the course instructor, and appears on the student's record.
Extensions to the time limit may be granted by the dean's representative upon submission of a petition from the student containing the endorsement of the course instructor who assigned the I grade, or the department chairperson if the instructor is unavailable. After the I grade is converted to a grade of F or U, the grade may only be changed in accordance with USRR Article II, Section 3.
A: Students are not to re-enroll in a course in which they are receiving an "I." Arrangements need to be made with the current instructor and the future instructor regarding Blackboard, being on the second semester's roster, etc.
A: Greg Burg (gburg@ku.edu), Jen Weghorst (weghorst@ku.edu), and Kandi Proudfoot (kmwhite@ku.edu) can generate permission numbers for classes.
A: For biology teaching technological support, contact Patty Krueger (pattyk@ku.edu) in the BTRC (Biology Teaching Resource Center).

For information on using technology in the classroom (e.g., "clickers," Blackboard, etc.), see Instructional Development and Support (IDS).

For strategies and support for teaching, see the Center for Teaching Excellence.

KU Today

Safety at KU

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times