Resources for Biology Students
- List of biology courses, their typical semesters, and pre-/co-requisites - updated as needed, potentially every semester
- List of upper-division biology courses with integrated laboratory components
- Peer-led Undergraduate Supplements (PLUS) - no-cost, optional discussion sections for BIOL 150 and 152, CHEM 130, 135, 330, and 335
- Tutoring Services - small-group tutoring for specific courses
- Academic Achievement and Access Center (AAAC) - resources for helping students to be successful academically
- Biology Teaching Resource Center (BTRC) - a friendly computer lab and study area located in 1004 Haworth Hall; free printing as long as you bring your own paper
- College Student Academic Services - located in 109 Strong Hall; central office for many student services; web site has lots of helpful info, ranging from academic policies to a GPA calculator
- Office of Study Abroad - located in 108 Lippincott Hall; plan early and meet with a biology advisor and a study abroad program coordinator to find a program to fit your needs and to earn credit towards your degree while abroad
- Graduation - important information from the Registrar regarding deadlines, paperwork, diploma, etc.
- Undergraduate Biology Graduation Recognition Ceremony - held at the end of every spring semester, typically the Sat. immediately before Commencement Sunday; RSVP requests will be sent via e-mail.
- Commencement - the university-wide graduation ceremony; "walking down the hill;" Sun., May 19, 2019
Careers in Biology and Graduate/Professional School Information
- KU University Career Center: Biological Sciences - career information for biological sciences, including links to various professional societies and resources for searching for and applying for jobs in biology. Be sure to think about your online professional image. There are national and local news articles published recently about online information and university admissions, too.
- Career Planning by Nature Education Scitable - extensive information to help you explore career options, including interviews with professionals in various fields
- GradSchoolTips.com - web site with general information about graduate (e.g., master's/Ph.D.) and professional (e.g., medical/dental/etc. school) schools
- MonsterCollege - web site to help recent college grads find jobs/internships, learn job-search skills, and network with peers
- Science Careers by the journal Science - web site to help you search for jobs in science
- Premedical Advising - must-read web sites for premedical/predental/preoptometry/preveterinary students; created by KU's premedical advisor, Paul Crosby
If you would like to work at KU, you must apply online via the KU jobs web site. Any student employment opportunities in Biology (in faculty labs, teaching labs, and for undergraduate teaching assistants) also will be listed on the KU jobs site.
- Instructions for new Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (UTA) applicants
- Application for new UTA applicants
- UTA recommendation form - 2 recommendation forms required for new applicants; at least 1 form must come from a KU faculty member/instructor/GTA
Science Programs Focusing on Underrepresented Populations
- Office for Diversity in Science Training - This office administers five different programs that focus on maximizing student development through science scholarship and research.
- McNair Scholars Program - This program's mission is to support undergraduate students in their quest to attend graduate school and obtain a doctoral degree. The program serves students that are either 1) from underrepresented minority groups or 2) are first generation college students AND come from low-income backgrounds.
Biology Extracurricular Activities
- Beta Beta Beta (Tri-Beta) Biological Honor Society - KU's chapter of this national biology honor society emphasizes excellence in biology scholarship and undergraduate research and provides a venue to connect with your fellow biology majors as well as faculty; see their Facebook page for upcoming events.
- American Society for Microbiology-KU Chapter
- KU Genetics Club
Biology Departments & Related Units
- Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
- Department of Molecular Biosciences
- KU Edwards campus
- Bioinformatics Core
- Environmental Studies Program
- Kansas Biological Survey
- KU Biodiversity Institute
- KU Clinical Laboratory Sciences - KU Medical Center
- KU Natural History Museum
- KU School of Health Professions - KU Medical Center
- KU School of Nursing - KU Medical Center
- KU School of Pharmacy
- Monarch Watch
- Office for Diversity in Science Training
- UMKC Master of Science in Anesthesia Program